Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:06:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/30203: description of security profiles in FAQ is just plain wrong

>Number:         30203
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       description of security profiles in FAQ is just plain wrong
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

current -doc tree

Robert Watson recently took an axe to the security profiles available
in sysinstall.  There are now only two profiles available, moderate &
extreme.

This is my first -doc patch prepared entirely from reading actual
source code, instead of from reading mailing lists.  As such, I'm
fully prepared to be told that I'm wrong.

I've also cleaned up a couple of sentences and corrected some grammar.
While I might be wrong on source code, I do know that using both a
colon and a semicolon in one sentence is ugly.

>How-To-Repeat:

read the source of sysinstall

>Fix:

*** book.sgml-dist	Wed Aug 29 13:19:01 2001
--- book.sgml	Wed Aug 29 13:44:25 2001
***************
*** 2175,2229 ****
          </question>

          <answer>
!             options that attempts to achieve the desired ratio of security
!             to convenience by enabling and disabling certain programs and
!             other settings.  The more severe the security profile, the less
!             programs will be enabled by default; this is one of the basic
!             principles of security: do not run anything except what you
!             must.</para>
!
!           <para>Please note that the security profile is just a default
!             setting.  All programs can be enabled and disabled after you have
!             installed FreeBSD by editing or adding the appropriate line(s)
!             to <filename>/etc/rc.conf</filename>.  For more information on
!             the latter, please see the &man.rc.conf.5; manual page.</para>
!
!           <para>Following is a table that describes what each security
!             profile does.  The columns are the choices you have for a
!             security profile, and the rows are the program or feature that
!             is enabled or disabled.</para>

              <title>Possible security profiles</title>

!              <tgroup cols=5>
                 <thead>
                   <row>
                     <entry></entry>

                     <entry>Extreme</entry>

-                    <entry>High</entry>
-
                     <entry>Moderate</entry>

-                    <entry>Low</entry>
                   </row>
                 </thead>

                 <tbody>
-                  <row>
-                    <entry>&man.inetd.8;</entry>
-
-                    <entry>NO</entry>
-
-                    <entry>NO</entry>
-
-                    <entry>YES</entry>
-
-                    <entry>YES</entry>
-                  </row>

                   <row>
                     <entry>&man.sendmail.8;</entry>
--- 2175,2216 ----
          </question>

          <answer>
!             configuration options that attempts to achieve the desired
!             ratio of security to convenience by enabling and disabling
!             certain programs and other settings.  The more severe the
!             security profile, the fewer programs will be enabled by
!             default.  This is one of the basic principles of security:
!             do not run anything except what you must.</para>
!
!           <para>Please note that the security profile is just a
!             default setting.  All programs can be enabled or disabled
!             after you have installed FreeBSD by editing or adding the
!             appropriate line(s) to <filename>/etc/rc.conf</filename>.
!             For more information, please see the &man.rc.conf.5;
!             manual page.</para>
!
!           <para>Following is a table that describes what each of the
!             security profiles does.  The columns are the choices you
!             have for a security profile, and the rows are the program
!             or feature that the profile enables or disables.</para>

              <title>Possible security profiles</title>

!              <tgroup cols=3>
                 <thead>
                   <row>
                     <entry></entry>

                     <entry>Extreme</entry>

                     <entry>Moderate</entry>

                   </row>
                 </thead>

                 <tbody>

                   <row>
                     <entry>&man.sendmail.8;</entry>
***************
*** 2232,2240 ****

                     <entry>YES</entry>

-                    <entry>YES</entry>
-
-                    <entry>YES</entry>
                   </row>

                   <row>
--- 2219,2224 ----
***************
*** 2244,2252 ****

                     <entry>YES</entry>

-                    <entry>YES</entry>
-
-                    <entry>YES</entry>
                   </row>

                   <row>
--- 2228,2233 ----
***************
*** 2254,2261 ****

                     <entry>NO</entry>

-                    <entry>NO</entry>
-
  		<entry>MAYBE <footnote>
  		    <para>The portmapper is enabled if the machine has been
  		      configured as an NFS client or server earlier in the
--- 2235,2240 ----
***************
*** 2263,2269 ****
  		  </footnote>
  		</entry>

-                    <entry>YES</entry>
                   </row>

                   <row>
--- 2242,2247 ----
***************
*** 2271,2281 ****

                     <entry>NO</entry>

-                    <entry>NO</entry>
-
                     <entry>YES</entry>

-                    <entry>YES</entry>
                   </row>

                   <row>
--- 2249,2256 ----
***************
*** 2291,2315 ****
  		      </footnote>
  		      </entry>

-                    <entry>YES (1)</entry>
-
                     <entry>NO</entry>

-                    <entry>NO</entry>
                   </row>
                 </tbody>
               </tgroup>

               <warning>
!                <para>The security profile is not a silver bullet!  Setting
!                  it high does not mean you do not have to keep up with security
!                  issues by reading an appropriate <ulink
                   url="../handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL">mailing
!                  list</ulink>, using good passwords and passphrases, and
!                  generally adhering to good security practices.  It simply
!                  sets up the desired security to convenience ratio out of
!                  the box.</para>
               </warning>

               <note>
--- 2266,2288 ----
  		      </footnote>
  		      </entry>

                     <entry>NO</entry>

                   </row>
                 </tbody>
               </tgroup>

               <warning>
!                <para>The security profile is not a silver bullet!
!                  Even the extreme setting does not mean you do not