Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 18:31:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        Allyn Hardyck <allynh@avsi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fsck

Because on reboot, the file systems aren't mounted, so there are no
processes out there with files open on the disk, nothing is being
modified (no file creation, deletion, etc).

When /etc/daily runs, processes are accessing the disk, and things are
changing out from underneath fsck even as it checks.