Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:53:45 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, josb@cncdsl.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

At 11:37 AM -0700 3/6/01, Wes Peters wrote:

>  Conversely, the really bad part about using SleepyCat's proprietary product
>  is that it would force anyone making FreeBSD-based products to either rip
>  it out of the system or pay SleepyCat money.  I think we can pretty much
>  forgo any further discussion on this point.

	There's nothing of value in this world that I know of which is
truly without cost.  There simply aren't any robust,
transaction-capable, recoverable format database engines out there
which do not cost any money for any kind of license, including
commercial purposes.

	Now, when we're talking about using it as a back-end for BIND, I
think that the Sleepycat folks are likely to be willing to suitably
modify the license to allow it to be used as one standard back-end
for the open source version, and of course commercial products based
on BIND would have the same database API available to them so they
could replace Berkeley DB with whatever database engine they prefer.