Date:      Thu, 04 Jun 2009 09:23:29 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SetUID/SetGID Kernel Option

	I have been asked to enable the following kernel option:

   SetUID/SetGID - Allow directories to inherit their owner from the
   parent directory.

The generic kernel under FreeBSD6.3 is what we presently use on
the system in question and I see no commented-out option for
compilation.

	We see in the fstab the following:

# Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
#Default is for no SUIDDIR.
#/dev/mfid0s1a		/		ufs	rw		1	1
#Living a bit more dangerously, we turned it back on.
/dev/mfid0s1a		/		ufs	rw,SUIDDIR 1	1

This looks like it may address the issue, but a test shows that
it does not appear to happen.

	Where do I use this option?

	This seems to be my day for asking strange questions but
I have run up against a couple of things that are not in my
usual sphere of knowledge and nothing jumped out at me from
documentation.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer