Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 18:34:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sridhar Krishnan <skrishna@cisco.com>
To:        support@cdrom.com
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.1 Help

I purchased and installed FreeBSD 2.1 from Walnut Creek CD-ROM. I need
help on the following items:

1. I configured the serial port 1 (which has a built in modem) for the
IRQ4 and i/o address of 0x3e8 (as per BIOS 03E8h). The new kernel
recognizes the port. However, when I use /dev/cuaa0 it does not work.For
example, I tried echo ATDT11111 >/dev/cuaa0. The modem should atleast be
off the hook and I should here a dial-tone. No. Also, ppp seems to hang.
I had the ppp.conf in /etc/ppp directory configured to use this device.
No go.

2. I am getting UnixSocket error after I boot. So, I am unable to ping
localhost.

3. I have a Trident SVGA card on PCI motherboard with Linear Accelerator
and 1MB of VRAM, and I tried configuring for X86_SVGA and it errors with
chipset did not recognize xxx address. I should be able to use SVGA with
256 colors (like Windows does).

4. Sections of Handbook on-line are incomplete like Serial (which is
marked with *). Is this right ?

Please Help. Thanks putting out a great product. The Install Book is
great.

Sridhar Krishnan