Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 1996 21:09:17 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        phk@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Parallel laplink abuse leads to death of kernel secondary timer]

--------------794BDF32446B9B3D2781E494

Yow, this one's pretty cool! :-)  I guess we always knew that PLIP was a
high-overhead proposition, but it's interesting to see that it only
croaks on the Pentium.

					Jordan

--------------794BDF32446B9B3D2781E494

From: mmcg@cs.monash.edu.au (Mike  Mc Gaughey)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: 7 Jul 1996 01:40:41 GMT

Hi, all,

I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.0-R on two machines, connected by a parallel
laplink cable.  The first is a 486/33, with a printer port on a multi
I/O card.  The second is a P90, printer port on motherboard.  The link
is set up as a network interface between the machines; ftp, rlogin,
etc, work pretty well over it (albiet at only 60K/sec).  When doing a
large FTP, `top' reports that 60-70% of CPU time (on each machine) is
spent processing interrupts (whether or not the printer port on the P90
is set up to generate interrupts :).

Here's the interesting bit: if an FTP lasts for more than about a
minute, `systat' (when displaying vmstat) complains that `the kernel
secondary timer has died' - and it stays dead, even after the link
becomes quiescent.  As far as I can tell from the kernel sources, this
timer runs at some multiple of the primary (real-time) timer, and is
used mainly for profiling; after it dies, various statistics aren't
updated (e.g. the CPU times and percentages on `top' become static).
This has only ever happened on the pentium (and it doesn't seem to
matter how the printer port is set up; there are several different
options in the bios, for generating interrupts based on various signals -
not that I'm certain they have any effect on the hardware :).  A
reboot fixes it.

What I want to know is: is this a major problem?  Is there anything
else (besides statistics gathering) that relies on this secondary
clock, which breaks if the clock stops?  Is there a more gentle way of
restarting the clock (than a reboot)?  Is there any problem with just
leaving it dead?  Does anyone know why it dies?  Does the (large) time
spent processing printer port interrupts mean that clock-related
interrupts are lost, resulting in the (permanent) failure of the
secondary clock?  Is there a software fix for this?  Should I be
looking at my hardware setup?

Cheers,

	Mike.
--
Mike McGaughey			AARNET:	mmcg@molly.cs.monash.edu.au

"Thousands at his bidding speed,
 And post o'er land and ocean without rest" - Milton.

--------------794BDF32446B9B3D2781E494--