Date:      26 Nov 1998 21:41:20 +0100
From:      Artur Grabowski <art@stacken.kth.se>
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@internetpaper.com>, netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG, FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, advocacy@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Merging Net/Free/Open-BSD together against Linux

ADRIAN Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com> writes:

> 	Sure, the kernel is defintely the hard part.  How much divergence
> has there been in userland?  I run OpenBSD on a sparc and I see a few
> things here and there.  I wonder how feasible it would be to have a
> unified distribution with three possible kernel architectures, yet a
> unified userland?  (He quickly ducks for cover.)  As long as device files,
> filesystem and directory hierarchies were agreed to, it seems feasible.

I have a standard reply to things that people always have good ideas about.

"When are you ready?"

Speaking about things doesn't improve reality in this case. If you want
something like this done you can:
 - do it yourself.
 - pay someone to do it.
 - Convince someone to do it.

Generating 1000 mails with good ideas won't write code. Sorry.

I'm not picking at someone specific. It's a generic rant to all people that
can't stop talking about this. Either accept reality as it is or do something
about it. And filling peoples spools doesn't get anything done.

Merging the BSDs is easy, just diff(1) and patch(1). If everybody in this
thread would just merge one single utility instead of coming with good ideas
you would be closer to One World, One License, One BSD. Apparently talking
is more important than getting the job done.

//art