Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:20:39 -0700
From:      Dave Truesdell <davet@nomad.geoplex.com>
To:        Tom Wadlow <wadlow@pilot.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interesting problem

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

I had a similar problem with a 3com card in a 6030X until I changed =

/etc/pccard.conf to use only irq 11.  Here's the top of my conf file:

  # Generally available IO ports
  io      0x240-0x2e0 0x300-0x360
  # Generally available IRQs
  irq     11
  # Available memory slots
  memory  0xd4000 96k

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 19:15:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Wadlow <wadlow@pilot.net>
To: hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Interesting problem

Hi,

I've run into an interesting problem in installing FreeBSD 2.2.1 on an
the following system:

	- NEC Versa 6030X (133Mhz Pentium, 32MB Ram, 1.4GB disk)
	- Megahertz X-Jack 10BaseT PCMCIA card.

I'm using the latest and greatest PAO boot.flp image.

I also have a 6030H laptop (same thing except the X has a 1024x768 display
and the H has an 800x600) that runs Linux.  To verify the 6030X hardware,
I pulled the hard drive out of the '30H and installed it in the '30X.  It
boots, PCMCIA works, Ethernet card works.

Going back to the blank (well, it had Win95 on it, so it's *effectively*
blank...) hard drive, I boot from the PAO floppy.  I go through the
install sequence for PCMCIA.  It sees the PCMCIA, sees the Megahertz card.
I go through the installation selection, and it prompts me for all the
network stuff, which I enter.  It tries to set the default route and
connect to ftp.freebsd.org.  This fails.  Pinging the IP that the laptop
should be at fails.  Going to the emergency shell, I fiddle with ifconfig
and notice that if I do an "ifconfig sn0 up", the interface comes alive.

So I powercycle the machine, go through the sequence again, but this time,
I supply "up" as an additional ifconfig argument in the network part.  So
far so good.  It begins the installation.  Meanwhile, on my Sun, I've got
a "ping -s" going to the laptop.  It is showing delay times of 250-1500
milliseconds.  My Sun and the laptop are on the same segment.  A ping to
another machine on the same segment shows 0 msec delays.  A ping to the
Linux running on the '30H, with the same Megahertz card and same Ethernet
cable shows 0 msec.  But hell, it's working, so I proceed.

The installation starts, and it connects to ftp.freebsd.org.  Starts
downloading.  It's slower than molasses, but it's working.  I leave the
ping running from the Sun.  Approximately 90 seconds after the sn0
interface is first brought up, it stops.  No more downloading.  No more
pings.  Emergency shell ifconfig shows it's still up, but ifconfig
up/down/whatever has no effect on it.  It's just locked up.

Power cycling resets it.  Repeating the process, it happens again. Using a
different Ethernet card, same problem.  Shifting the disk to the '30H,
same problem.  So it seems to be bound to the software, not the hardware,
as the only bit of hardware that stays the same is the hard disk (as I
only have one expendable one).

Note that this same Megahertz card works great (and is quite fast) on a
Twinhead 486 system running FreeBSD 2.2-Something-GAMMA, with the PAO
stuff installed.

Any thoughts?  --Tom

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

-- =