Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:34:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, Geoffrey <geoffrey@reptiles.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Any ideas why we can't even boot a i386 ?

On 28-Feb-2003 Terry Lambert wrote:
> David Schultz wrote:
>> Thus spake Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>:
>> >
>> > People who build embedded devices that need to be supported in
>> > the field, and want to worry about their software, and not the
>> > platform it runs on, don't use -current, FWIW.
>>
>> Moot point.  People who build embedded devices have separate,
>> usually modern, machines for building their kernels.
>
> They also outsource their hardware, and have to provide a
> "golden master" CDROM.

Yep, and they can easily build a custom CD to do that.  Where
I work we have a custom CD that includes a set of sysinstall
configuration scripts, etc.

> Likewise, when you have a room full of appliance boxes that
> are rack-mounted, and have serial consoles, no CDROM, no
> floppy, or other removable media, the normal way you use to
> install an image is to boot up the current image, copy over
> the sysinstall from an already installed bootstrap system
> with a CDROM drive, and then NFS mount the CDROM, and run
> the sysinstall from the serial console, and lie and tell it
> the thing was mounted locally.

Or you can use PXE at your provisioning center and have the
BIOS setup to boot from the hard disk first, which will fail
for the initial boot and fall back to PXE.  Then once the box
is installed you ship it to its destination.

> If you've never built a closed-box appliance, then you are
> probably not familiar with the operational differences you
> have to live with, compared to something like Yahoo or
> RackSpace, etc..

We just launched a closed-box appliance yesterday.  Actually,
it's going live to actual customers in about an hour and a
half, but I digress. :)