Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:43:46 -0700
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        Nathan Butcher <nathan_butcher@newson.co.jp>
Subject:   Re: USB flash memory mounting

On Sunday 25 April 2004 07:53 pm, Nathan Butcher wrote:

> I inserted the stick and got told that it was da1. What I did was to
> edit /etc/fstab and make this entry:-
>
> /dev/da1    /mnt    msdos    noauto,user,umask=0    0   0
>
> that didn't work. I got some error about Inappropriate file type or
> format. Changed filetype to vfat and that didn't work either like it
> does in Linux.

/dev/da1 is not what you want. That's the device, but it doesn't specify
the slice. The umass driver treats the memory stick like a SCSI
harddrive, so your mount command should also treat it like a harddrive.
You should be using "da1s1" or similar instead. (In UNIX terminology, a
"slice" is roughly equivalent to a DOS primary partition.)

David