Date:      28 Apr 1998 15:47:29 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging...

Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it> writes:

> I am trying to see what could be the best way to implement bridging
> within FreeBSD. The main app would be to connect 10/100 Mbit
> interfaces in the most transparent way (I know doing packet filtering
> on a 100 Mbit segment places a bit of load on the host and a
> dedicated solution could be cheaper/more efficient).

I'm very interested in this as well, but I'm on 2.2.6.

I picked up an 8-port 100Mbps (only!)-: hub for $100 from one of the
web auction houses and want to connect my home boxes which have
100Mbps interfaces: x86 with FreeBSD and hopefully BeOS soon. But I've
also got some old Suns and a laptop with 10Mbps interfaces which I
can't afford to upgrade. Total of about 10 systems on a pair of 10Mbps
minihubs right now.

My plan is to split the net with the 100Mbps machines on the 100Mbps
hub, and the 10Mbps boxes on the 10Mbps hub. I'll of course need to
get traffic to flow across both. I was thinking I could put a 10Mbps
and a 100Mbps card in my box which already dials my ISP 24x7 and let
it move the packets to the right place. I'm looking for advice for how
to get them from net to net.

I've got a /240 subnet from my ISP. I'd really prefer not to subnet
this into two /248s and lose two more addresses in the process.  I'd
also like to avoid dealing with gated If I can.

Is there some simple bridging SW? I didn't find anything in the
ports. If there is, what kind of HW do I need to support bridging at
this speed? I don't need packet filtering and other firewall functions
here, but if something like Drawbridge is the easiest thing to make
work, I can do that. As long as it also will let me talk out the PPP
interface to the world.

Thanks a lot.