Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 17:53:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        netmonger@genesis.ispace.com (Drew Baxter)
Cc:        jktheowl@bga.com, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, smiledon@intop.net, chuck@ucsd.edu, jkb@best.com, danny@AlphaZed.com, wes@softweyr.com, grog@lemis.com, kbyanc@freedomnet.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tell Micro$oft what you think

> What I particularly don't like (and this is very typical for Game Consoles,
> I.e. Nintendo, Sony, etc) is that once a new OS is released, the others are
> left to fend for themselves.  When was the last time a new Super Nintendo
> game was out?  Well probably right before Nintendo 64 came out.

OK, now that we're on a total tangent for FreeBSD Advocacy...

The Famicon (Nintendo) hardware operates by placing a patented MMU
chip on each cartridge.

This not only increases the per cartridge price, it:

o	Prevents companies from producing cartridges, except under
	license from the company, on threat of a patent-based
	lawsuit.

o	Lets them charge a per cartridge royalty to each vendor
	to keep the market price for cartridges fixed.

o	Keeps all but carefully selected American companies out of
	the cartridge market.

o	Lets them quickly end-of-life a previous product by
	invoking contractual clauses so that the previous
	product doesn't cannibalize their new product's market.

The biggest danger for them is that some other vendor will release
new hardware, with more software, at the same time they release
their new platform and EOL their old platform.

It's very much a closed shop; if you have any complaint against it,
then don't buy into the closed shop.  But if you make the choice to
buy into the closed shop, it's your own fault when you get bitten.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.