Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 17:38:50 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing sendmail (Re: non-root users binding to ports < 1024 (was: Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2

> But... OK, fine, y'all are so used to sendmail you can't imagine using
> anything else. Subject dropped.

I'm happy to drop the subject too, but just to note that this is not a
lack of imagination at work - this is simply a QA problem.  We're
conservative, and sendmail is what we've been using for over a decade,
with or without all the holes.  When there are a sufficient number of
ISPs and other folks using qmail who can support eachother rather than
asking us (and we don't know qmail), then we can talk again.

For the record, I hate sendmail and think that it's some of the most
flawed software ever written.  If there is ever a war crimes tribunal
convened for people who've done the most to allow crackers to
penetrate UNIX systems, Eric Allman's neck will be first into the
noose.  But that doesn't matter.  sendmail is ubiquitous, qmail is
not, end of story.  We might just as well debate the merits of BETAMAX
vs VHS - you'd be technically correct to defend BETA, but who'd care?

					Jordan