Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 19:17:34 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        "'Mike Nowlin'" <mike@argos.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Webserver specs (was: RE: Any opinions about DLink DFE-530TX 10/100 card ?)

 -- Andy -----------------------------------------------------------------
|hornback@wireco.net or kracked.com|What we need is a leader not a lawyer.|
| http://home.wireco.net/~hornback |      Sen. Ashcroft, R-Missouri       |

	Relatively low cost, eh?  *shakes his head*  When I think low cost, I'm
STILL thinking 486... *grin*

> I suddenly think back to the days of:
>
> "It is primarily going to be serving static pages, some audio
> and maybe
> some video.  The components I am considering are
>
> 486-DX4/100 with 32MB ram and 1.6GB IDE...."

	You'd get a kick out of the 2 webservers that I used to work on...

1) P2-350, 128 Megs of RAM, 4.3 Gig IDE... running NT/IIS/all the crap...
machine never saw more than 5% system usage except for when the OS spiked.
Waste of hardware, only used for "hosted" web sites.

2) P-90, 192 Megs of RAM, 4.5 Gig 80 MB/sec SCSI... running NT/IIS/all the
crap... was being used as the user's webspace and entire installation mail
and news server.  Machine would bog down if you looked at it wrong.

	But, thanks to the powers that be, I couldn't switch the two machines out,
which would have made a better fit.  Biggest problem I saw with both of them
was the fact that both were stuck on a HUB (?!?) and both only had 10 Base T
network cards.  Talk about performance bottlenecks...

> (philosophical question)  Have things really changed that much?  I do
> believe that a T1 from 3 years ago had the same capacity as a T1
> today...  :)

	Actually, today's T1s are smaller... *grin*  Hornback's Rule of Infinite
Bandwidth... whenever a larger pipe becomes available, your current pipe
instantly becomes too small for efficient use.

> (Sorry, but that's my opinion about how people routinely
> over-power web
> servers, just because people worry about the numbers too much..)

	It's not the numbers they worry about, it's having to look like they've got
big "cajones"...

	Image is everything... and hardware is part of that image, sadly.  It's no
longer "what gets the job done" but "what would look good on the press
release after we get the thing working"...

--- Andy