Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 17:23:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Jack W Doyle <n9ogk@juno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PS printer

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Jack W Doyle wrote:

> Do any one of you know of any affordable color PostScript printers out
> there?  I'd like to be able to print PS files directly.  The price range
> I'm looking to be in is between $375 to $600.  The requirement that I
> have is that it be capable of at least 720x360 output in color.

Jack, you can get the same functionality, maybe even better, by leaving
the idea of a postscript printer behind.  Let me explain that.

I used to have an HP Laserjet printer, which had a postscript plug-in
module, so I could print postscript.  I wanted to be able to directly
print postscript.  OK, it took about 45-60 seconds for most pages to
print, and many things wouldn't print at all, because of shortcomings in
the module being able to accept anything outside of it's idea of what
postscript ought to be.  Many things I could read fine via ghostview, but
I couldn't print them.

I had a document from school come up, and I _had_ to get it printed, no
way to avoid it.  My HP with it's module choked on it, and wouldn't print.
Before being forced to go to a local printer (and have some great sum
surgically removed from my wallet for that) I decided to remove the module
from the HP laserjet, and use ghostscript directly to generate the HP PCL5
code to drive the printer in a native mode.  To my astonishment, the
document printed about 5 times faster, and without any problems.

Since then, my original HP Laserjet died, and I bought a HP Deskjet 693, I
forget, maybe for 350 bucks.  I now use apsfilter to print with.  I send
anything I want to lpr, and it just prints great.  Ascii, postscript,
gifs, anything at all, apsfilter figures out what the file is, and does
the modification or transformation needed to get it to print.  I set up
two drivers via apsfilter, because printing in color is kinda expensive
unless you need it.

It's not everyday you can save a bunch of money and improve the quality in
one step.  Postscript printers cost an arm and a leg; go price them.

> Jack
>
> The faster your computer is, the slower your life becomes.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |