Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:18:36 +0200
From:      martinko <gamato@users.sf.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: snd_hda: ALC888/1200 and mixer empty

Alexander Motin wrote:
> martinko wrote:
>> Indeed, default is HDMI which I changed to Toslink.  But only analog
>> (pcm1 and pcm2) have mixers.  This is problem with applications that
>> complain they cannot find mixer.  What can I do about it ?
>>
>> And more general -- I know FreeBSD have virtual channels and thus it
>> can mix various sources and even convert sample rates.  But can it
>> control volume of channels, both virtual and real/hw ?
>> I sort of understand that now digital output provides no volume
>> control and I can easily manage that with my amplifier.  But in
>> Windows I _can_ control volume even when I use digital output.
>
> Vchans is able to control volume in software when there lack of hardware
> support, but it breaks AC3 stream pass-though. So choosing between them
> I have blocked software volume control in driver manually for digital
> connectors. To get it back you may in hdac.c change line
>     if (pdevinfo->play >= 0 && !pdevinfo->digital) {
>     if (pdevinfo->play >= 0) {
> May be last changes in 8-CURRENT will allow them coexist, but not for 7.2.

Thanks for the hint.

Anyway, I guess it might be useful for (some) users to have a tunable to
enable/disable mixer (sw volume control) on digital interface.  And/or
mixer (sw volume control) on digital interface might just pretend it's
there but internally it wouldn't touch the stream, thus AC3 would work.
  Well, maybe you already implemented this or sth better for 8-CURRENT.

Cheers,

Martin