Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:02:02 +0000
From:      Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle OCI code on FreeBSD

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 23:14:47 EST, Dan Nelson wrote:
>
> > Install the linux_devel port and resign yourself to building Linux
> > executables whenever you have to talk to Oracle.
>
> We've _just_ been through this whole nightmare and resigned ourselves to
> using a Sparc for talking to Oracle. :-(
>
> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

It seems that without the ability to link against libclntsh.so and
liboci805jdbc.so
there is little that can be done with Oracle on FreeBSD without just
breaking down
and installing Linux and compiling static binaries for every little thing
that needs to
be done.  At 3Meg a pop that seems a little extreme even for Oracle.

I am considering writing a server, and OCI 7/8 wrapper (and possibly a new,
less ugly,
API) for FreeBSD that would allow "native" OCI programs to be run.  Is
there any
interest in this outside of my little world?

If anyone is interested please feel free to contact me offline.  I have a
simple example
server already running, and would be willing to make the code public for
testing / review /
assistance.

Chad