Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:22:30 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cross Posting...

On Monday, 19 April 1999 at 18:28:39 -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:
>> On Monday, 19 April 1999 at  2:26:14 -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Yes, I agree that cross posting is bad and that in general people should not
>>> do it .
>>
>> In fact, cross posting is good.  The bad thing is that people on both
>> lists get multiple copies, and that's a mail implementation issue.
>> No, I don't know how to solve it (if it were easy, it would already
>> have been solved).  But we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that
>> people who cross-post often do it because they believe that it's
>> relevant to each list.
>
> Isn't there a message ID associated with each mail message so if  I
> mail something to chat and -current the message should have the
> same ID and if so you can eliminate the copy . I may be missing
> something here.

Sure.  Your message had: Message-Id:
<199904200128.SAA58573@rah.star-gate.com>, and I got two copies.  How
could that be caught earlier?  Or if the mailing lists are on two
different systems?  The first chance to compare the message IDs is at
the destination system.  Mail readers *could* do that, and it's
probably a good option, but it doesn't stop two messages from being
delivered, and that's Marius's issue.

Greg