Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2002 21:35:35 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use/Utilize

Tony Finch wrote:
> > > This is generally true for copyright law.
> >
> > So now everyone who writes code is expected to be well read in
> > copyright?
>
> No, but people who argue loudly and at great length about the GPL
> are expected to have read the relevant parts.

You implication is incorrect.  I have read it, and I have read
the GNU Manifesto, and I have read the relevent U.S.C. and
international law.

The quoted statement is out of context of the discussion, in
which the poster was agreeing with a point I made, not refuting
it.

When the amount of law one is subject to exceeds your ability
to carry it with a cart behind you, it is unresonable to expect
your average layman -- the people being lobbied to apply the
various open source licenses to their software -- to be well
read on all of the information.

-- Terry