Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:03:42 +0100
From:      Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Back to school

Hi,

> > You should have one open if you're using the machine.
> Not necessarily. Depends how it's set up and used.
Definately necessarily. I'm in the unix world since 1989 and
never, never found a X-Terminal or a X-Workstation not running
one or two xterms (as a minimum).

> > This is a more detailled level than that of the original.
I had the same expression as Greg.
The 'how-to-delete-a-file-with-explorer'-info-sheet (this word is
quite as nice as the named tool) implied  like Greg's commandline
example, that the user knows where the file is located.

> Quite so. And your 'rm file' was a different level again. If you want a
> realistic comparison, the school example could be expressed at the
> level that you used, by saying:
>     Click on the filename and press the Delete key.
no. Because using the explorer you just _have_ to navigate the whole
way down to the directory containing the file.

I would just type [the sysadmin;) gave me a comfortable interactive
shell]:
paert:[~] rm ~proj<tab-key>ww<tab-key>vent<tab-key><tab-key>anno<tab-key>

... and out of the sudden I just need to press return for deleting a
file at a location I've only known rather vaguely beforehand.

But to handle one file at a time is something for wheenies, ... the
commandlines power strikes when it comes to a bunch of files.

A few days ago one of our webdesigners (relatively new employess) came to
me admitting that he just had named _all_ these graphic-files conflicting
to our internal naming conventions. (ca. 100 files in 3 directories)
He asked, if we just should go along with it for 'this project' or if
he had really to rename all of them with the explorer.
phhh.
You should have seen his unbelieving face as a 'one-liner' at the
zsh-prompt solved our problem.

Regards,
    Andreas

--
: TSE TeleService GmbH  :  Gsf: Arne Reuter        :                 :
: Hovestrasse 14        :       Andreas Braukmann  : We do it with   :