Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:35:05 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

> Just speculating: if some company (be it BSDI, Digital, the
> little green aliens from the Mars or somebody wholly different) wants to
> contribute something to FreeBSD, yet have it not be known to the larger
> publicity (to avoid rumors, out of time queries, etc.) before it is ready
> they certainly should have the right.

Thank you.  That's precisely the situation here (and the Martians say
hello, BTW, and simply wish it to be known that the whole "Mars
Attacks" thing has got them pretty sensitive about adverse publicity).

I'm sure that if Dennis were also to design a new card that gave you
T1/E1 Frame Relay connectivity for the price of a standard serial port
and he had some of us BETA testing it under conditions of "please
please don't talk about the details of this until it's ready" (not
that Dennis would ever consider working that closely with us - it
would rob him of the ability to fire flaming arrows at us from a safe
distance, for one thing), he probably would not welcome disclosure in
-hackers on the full details of his product and planned business
model.  It is, of course, the usual Dennis hypocracy that he would
demand this of anyone else's commercial arrangement, however.

It is this and other aspects of his behavior that have caused me to
discount Dennis as a serious player in this business.  He may have a
technically sound product (possibly even the best currently
available), but the "human factors" side of dealing with Emerging
Technologies has caused me to recommend against using anything they
make - my clients would *never* forgive me for inflicting Dennis on
them, no matter how well the product worked, and I can only hope that
SDL Communications can get their Frame Relay act together soon since I
can at least say that they're seasoned professionals who don't appear
to make a sport of biting their own customer's heads off at the
slightest provocation*.

					Jordan

* This is based on *multiple* personal emails I've received from
  actual customers of ETINC who wished to cry on my shoulder for
  awhile after making this very mistake.  I have no personal opinion
  of their products, given that I've never used them, and Dennis's
  "customer support" was also the topic of a small gathering at USENIX,
  mine being, if anything, one of the more mild opinions expressed.
  Dennis has made his own bed and now he's simply going to have to lie
  in it.