Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 1998 05:32:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Christopher J. Booth" <cbooth@onyx.interactive.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mouse No Move; Teepee 2.2.5....

I have a FreeBSD 2.2.5 mouse problem. I had the same problem in 2.2.2, and
solved it with a reinstall. I would prefer not to do that this time--it is
so inelegant a solution! I have a 3-button mouse on /cuaa1/sio1/COM2 (the
mouse is switchable between 2- and 3-button settings, and, yes, _is_ set
to 3 buttons).

I have /etc/XF86Config set as

   Section "Pointer"
       Protocol    "MouseSystems"
       Device      "/dev/sysmouse"

, which I understand is appropriate and correct. [Using anything but
/dev/sysmouse here causes the machine to lock up and crash. I have to
either control-alt-delete or push the reset button, which is not cool.]

I have tried /etc/rc.conf in the following settings, to no effect:

   moused_type="NO"
   mouse_port=""
   moused_flags=""

and

   moused_type="mousesystems"
   mouse_port="/dev/cuaa1"
   moused_flags=""

I think that my problem is elsewhere; I have tried all kinds of different
values in /etc/XF86Config and /etc/rc.conf, and also

   vidcontrol -m on

and...no mouse movement. It is like the night before Christmas in X.

X will start up this way....It opens, and the cursor just sits, dead in
the water. Ugh.

Can anyone suggest another file that might be missing or malconfigured?

cbooth@onyx.interactive.net
Christopher J. Booth