Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2013 17:00:11 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
Subject:   Re: Reading the handbook from console

On Jan 13, 2013, at 4:01 PM, Fbsd8 wrote:

> Robert Bonomi wrote:
>>> Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 21:48:01 +0100
>>> From: Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
>>> To: Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
>>> Subject: Re: Reading the handbook from console
>>> Cc: scotteberl@gmail.com, dteske@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
>>>=20
>>> The is a famous library, svgalib, a "low level console graphics
>>> library" which can - under _very_ specific circumstances - display
>>> graphics "on" the text mode console. There are few browsers,
>>> image viewers and even media players that can use this interface
>>> to display "console graphics" while _not_ needing X.
>>>=20
>>> However, this only works for local displays. As soon as there
>>> is a serial or SSH connection involved, it doesn't work anymore.
>>>=20
>>> I've actually never seen this working on FreeBSD; maybe it's
>>> just a Linuxism. Maybe it's just because I've never tried. :-)
>>>=20
>> Works fine on FreeBSD  -- graphics-mode screen-savers (like 'fire')
>> use it.
> How do you activate graphics-mode screen-savers (like 'fire')?

Try adding to /boot/loader.conf:
screensave_load=3D"YES"
screensave_name=3D"fire_saver"

--=20
Devin

P.S. The default is "green_saver" (which blanks the console, saving energy =
making it "green").

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.