Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:48:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      "=?iso-8859-1?q?Pedro=20F.=20Giffuni?=" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
To:        Pete Fritchman <petef@absolutbsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: comments/suggestions on the ports system

 --- Pete Fritchman <petef@absolutbsd.org> ha scritto:

> Not quite sure what you mean here.

Try doing a DOS installation on a computer that is not
hooked to the net and you'll understand. FWIW I had NO
other option: my CDROM isn't very reliable so I had to
use a laptop with ms-windows to transfer the
distribution files.

> | 2) I like it that we now install XFree86 from the
> | package, but unfortunately the package is not
> fully
> | integrated and configuring it causes pain (the
> | configure utility expects to write
> /etc/X11/XF86Config
> | or /usr/X11/etc/XF86Config and these directories
> don't
> | exist).  I concluded the best solution for this
> would
> | be to set X11BASE=/usr/X11/ by default in the
> ports
> | tree: changing all the ocurrences of this to
> | /usr/X11R6 would be a nonsense and besides the
> ports
> | tree should be perfectly prepared for this type of
> | change.
>
> According to /etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist, /etc/X11 is
> there by default (and
> that's the behavior I have noticed).

I'm not saying you lie, but the configure script
couldn't generate that file until I created that
directory. Does it really have to be called /usr/X11R6
instead /usr/X11 anyways? It's not like there is an
X11R5 or X11R4 available somewhere.

> CVSup is split up like that already; see
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile for details.

Another reason to divide it in packages. I haven't
connected the BSD box to the internet yet so cvsup is
not an option. Ever heard of winmodems?? for now I
just transfer the files using the Windows partition
and I've done lot's of ports like that. In order to
install port support in my system (without installing
ALL the ports) I type CTRL-C in the middle of the
ports extraction. I don't have the disk space or
patience to wait for all ports to extract.

> | 4) KDE, GNOME and the related Qt and GTK apps have
> | grown a lot should be in a different CD, giving
> the
> | priority in the first CD for console applications.
> | mtools should always be in the first CD.
>
> I don't think the focus needs to be shifted to
> "console" or "X"
> applications one way or the other, just the most
> popular ones.  I would
> guess a large majority of our desktop users find it
> really convenient to
> have their preferred desktop environment on the
> first CD.

It's only me, but I'd prefer to be able to install all
the KDE or GNOME applications I want without having to
look for certain packages on a different CD (finding
which is another problem). KDE and GNOME don't fit on
the first CD ..
That said I think I'll be switching to a DVD as soon
as I can.

OK... I admit my requirements are strange, but I think
a newbie to FreeBSD will apreciate not having to do
the things I do to install FreeBSD.

cheers,

    Pedro.