Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 13:29:20 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
Cc:        mwm@mired.org, "Wes Peters" <wes@softweyr.com>, "Randell Jesup" <rjesup@wgate.com>, "Terry Lambert" <tlambert@primenet.com>, "Matt Dillon" <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@wintelcom.net>, "josb@cncdsl.com" <josb@cncdsl.com>, "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com> types:
> On 03/06/2001 12:12:30 PM, Mike Meyer is quoted as saying:
> . . . .|>benefit to *BSD.
>
> What benefit would this have?  Yes binary config files will probably mean faster boot
> times, but other than that, is their any reason we should all have our config files
> dependent on some DB?  Ever have your registry go dead in windows? [no backups], that
> means reinstall OS and all your software, I would hate having the same thing happen to
> my FreeBSD box.  I even look at the .db files of passwd/master.passwd, and I still dont'
> get why BSD didn't just stick with plaintext versions of those as most other unixes have

Yes, I know the evils of storing system config information in binary
files. The issue is orthogonal to the question of having a single API
for accessing the config file information. The advantage of the latter
is that you've reduced the learning curve for the system, the amount
of code that has to be compiled to make world, and the disk and ram
space taken up by the resulting binaries.

	<mike