Date:      Sun, 8 Jan 2017 16:56:30 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        swjatoslaw gerus <milstar2@eml.cc>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Edison tactic  - 1.ifconfig wlan0 ssid myssid   , work but some missed ,2.pkg install

On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 15:42:16 +0100, swjatoslaw gerus wrote:
>  work ,but some missed
>
> rc.conf
>
> hostname="sony"
> keymap="german.iso.kbd"
> wlans_iwn0="wlan0"
Yes, those are correct. But there is the following entry missing:

	ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"

Or maybe you need to specify the SSID here:

	ifconfig_wlan0="ssid <yourssid> WPA SYNC"

Change <yourssid> for your actual SSID name. Also play with the
options (WPA, DHCP, SYNCDHCP). Because I don't know your network,
I cannot tell which features it requres. You either try this by
yourself, or ask one of the admins, they _should_ be able to
answer such basic technical questions.

> # from loader originaly wlans_iwn0= "WPA inet netmask"

Not from the loader, but from the installer, and I doubt the
installer would have put that nonsense line there (those
parameters correspont to an ifconfig_ setting!).

> # after that fat in display  iwn0:iwn_read_firmware:ucode rev=0x08530501
> #iwn0: device timeout
> #iwn0:iwn_panicked:controller panicked iv_state=5

Hmmm... maybe you have one of the devices with the partially
defective firmware?

> create_args_wlan0="country DE regdomain ETSI"

That looks reasonable; however, I don't know if this is
even needed.

> local_unbound_enable="YES"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> moused_enable= "YES"
> dumpdev= "AUTO"

Correct, except the spaces.

> wpa*
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> eapol_version=2
> ap_scan=1
> fast_reauth=1
>
> network  = {
>
>   ssid=" myssid"
>   key_mgmt=WPA_EAP
>   # WPA_EAP not "WPA-EAP"   or ?

The correct setting is "WPA-EAP" (hyphen, not underscore). You
can find that out easily: "man wpa_supplicant.conf" - this local
manual has the options listed in the correct manner. So

	key_mgmt=WPA-EAP

is the setting you will need. A mis-spelled setting won't work
for obvious reasons.

>   identity="my iden"
>   password=" my passwd"
>   priority=5
>
> }

Looks good so far, but make sure no superfluous spaces are
present (except your password _really_ starts with a space,
which is quite uncommon, but technically possible).

>  poweron

Simply use the command

	# reboot

to restart your system. It's much more comfortable. :-)

>  ifconfig wlan0 ssid  myssid
> # myssid not "myssid"
> #system accepted ,but no message

The SSID name is in quotes in the configuration file, but not
when you call the ifconfig command.

When no further message is issued, the system has _successfully_
processed your command. The basic idea behind most system messages
(or their absence) is: You asked for it, you got it. :-)

>  ifconfig wlan0
>
> # message from system
> # status -no carrier     ,suspect form author must be associated

The status message will change when the status changes. This
will happen when the device connects.

> #ssid myssid
> #channel 1 2412 mhz   (can be changed  with ifconfig arguments)

Yes.

> # privacy -off ,suspect from author must be on

This indicates if encryption is _required_.

> # txpower 30    - setting in 0.5 db ,that is not correlated
> # with watkins-johnson ,naval research laboratory ,lincoln laboratory
> #    must be 1 dbm

Why don't you simply follow the basic diagnostic steps listed
in the online documentation (pointed out several times):

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html

The command

	# ifconfig wlan0 up scan

is a good point to start. Just make sure you're not trying to
connect to a wireless network with options that this particular
network doesn't even support.

Again, let me remind you of the diagnostic commands:

	# ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwn0
	# wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
	# dhclient wlan0

This is basically a "step by step" way to manually perform what
the system does automatically at startup. It's a great help to
find out where the connection problem occurs.

> -2. pkg install no txz   ,

Without Internet connection, you won't be able to install software
packages from the Internet. :-)

Honestly: Get _one_ problem out of the way, then take the next
task. Currently, getting your WLAN working should be your top
priority. Concentrate on what you're doing, compare with the
instructions.

> created two files   /etc  /local/etc as stated

Nonsense. /etc is a directory which the installer creates and
populates; /local/etc doesn't even exist.

> in man pkg
>    the same answer

Probably not. "man pkg" is the local manual for the pkg command,
with additional pages like "man pkg-add" or "pkg-delete" for the
sub-commands that pkg understands.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany