Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:58:55 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Ward R Goodwin" <admin2@empireone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help - Fasttrak eide raid host adapter and FreeBSD

I didn't notice the first time that you'd copied three separate lists
with your first message.  Please don't do that; one list is enough.

> Thanks for the reply.  I guess (unless lightning strikes in the
> next few hours) I'll go ahead and set up as 2 IDE drives without
> mirror and see if I can get FreeBSD to see it.  If that doesn't
> work then back to the motherboard IDE channels...

You might as well just go back to the motherboard channels right now;
the FastTrak won't give you any advantages.

> BTW it might be software but it's bios level.  Just after the
> motherboard bios access.  Just like when you use scsi raid
> controllers.  So if they get it right it should be able to emulate
> a "standard" IDE drive and not require drivers...

No, it doesn't work like that.  The OS is required to supply it's own,
FastTrak-compatible software RAID driver to take over from the BIOS.

> I was hoping someone had a hack that could translate from what the
> card bios shows and allow me to go ahead and load FreeBSD.

No; there is no hope of this in the short to medium term.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org