Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 15:38:27 +1200
From:      andrew@squiz.co.nz (Andrew McNaughton)
To:        freebsd-mozilla@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netscape 4 status?

At 1:59 AM 18/4/98, Howard Goldstein wrote:
>Wish: If someone were to ask I'd say let's loose the .gif animations

As an option only.  (which MSIE does)

I'm doing web development.  I want my development machine similar to the
server, but I also want what I see in my browser to match as closely as
possible what typical users see.  There's lots of UI changes I'd like to
see, but if rendering of pages is not reasonably standard it's of little
value to me.

Some things on my wish list:

Make acceptance of cookies, javascript, java, plugins, gif animations, even
images customizable by site.  As I imagine it when I get one of these from
a new site netscape asks whether I want to accept one of the above, I'd
like radio buttons to decide whether to accept it or not, and a checkbox to
say don't ask about this site next time.  Doing it by the page might be
nice for pages with buggy java programs and such like where you still want
to use the features of the rest of the site, so maybe two checkboxes, or a
radio button selection including 'always ask'.  There'd be cases where it
would be nice to do it by domain, or by subsection of the site, but this
would be less important, and probably degenerate into a cluttered
interface.  There would also need to be a way to bring up a dialog to
change the acceptance options for the site of the current page.  It should
of course be possible to always accept or deny stuff by default, and then
change this for individual sites.

Make the server the Search button takes you to customizable.

Make the tool bar strip smaller when shown as pictures or text only.

Make both the Search and guide buttons removable.  Perhaps just move these
to the Personal toolbar.

Put the option to turn images on or off back in a menu.  It's awkward going
into the preferences for this all the time.

Put an Add bookmark item into every sub menu of the hierarchical bookmarks menu.

Allow for collabra to view multiple newsgroups at the same time.

Add Hierarchical menus of mailboxes.

Make it possible to copy text from the navigator window using the Xwindows
middle mouse button convention.

Ability to call local programs, probably using something closely
approximating the CGI calling convention, without a server in between.  In
fact on a unix box you'd probably just run a server, but a cross platform
approach to this would make it possible to write locally run, cross
platform applications which use the browser's interface, but do not require
your average joe to set a server up on their machine.

Andrew McNaughton

DISCLAIMER: The Entire Physical Universe, Including      Andrew McNaughton
This Message, May One Day Collapse Back into an            ++64 4 389 6891
Infinitesimally Small Space. Should Another Universe    andrew@squiz.co.nz
Subsequently Re-emerge, the Validity of Statements  http://www.squiz.co.nz
in This Message Cannot Be Guaranteed.            http://www.newsroom.co.nz