Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 13:42:21 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: CVSROOT log_accum.pl

[VM-mail-mode went insane on me when I tried to send this last time.
Let's try again.]

<<On Tue, 14 Nov 1995 02:26:45 +0800 (WST), Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM> said:

> BTW: I suspect "struct ucred" should be reordered for better internal
> alignment..
> It is currently:
> struct ucred {
>   short cr_ref;
>   long  cr_uid;
>   short cr_ngroups;
>   long  cr_groups[NGROUPS];
> }
> The order of cr_ngroups and cr_uid could be swapped making the whole
> thing 4 bytes smaller (assuming that I understand structure packing.. :-)

Better to make the shorts into longs if you're going to change the
structure.  shorts are slow.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.