Date:      Sun, 15 May 2011 04:10:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
To:        Rob Clark <rpclark@ymail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No keyboard after ports update, 2x moused_enable="YES" culprit

--21774345-1633320634-1305450620=:13285

On Sat, 14 May 2011, Rob Clark wrote:

> After restarting X, prior to any reboot, I lost the mouse in X.
> So I figured a reboot was in order.

This is almost certainly HAL.  If you do not know you need HAL for
something, mark the hal and hal-info ports FORBIDDEN (set FORBIDDEN to any
value in the Makefiles) whenever you update your ports tree.  Grep /var/db/=
ports
for hal and then remove the with hal option in the affected ports using mak=
config.  Force reinstall the affected ports.  Try to pkg_delete hal, to che=
ck
for dependencies you haven't resolved.  When all the dependencies are
removed, then remove hal.

> Some digging around revealed that I had the following line in /etc/rc.con=
> twice: moused_enable=3D"YES"
>
> I removed one of these (which I guess was the culprit) and left one as it
> should have been, then all was well.=A0 Keyboard found at reboot, no furt=
her
> issues -- mouse was available in X too.
>
> I have no idea why I had=A0 moused_enable=3D"YES"=A0 in there twice, whet=
her it
> was from an old or recent rc.conf edit, but it clearly seems to have been
> causing the issue.

This cannot be.  Once or a million times should have exactly the same
effect.  Commonly ports, people, and sysinstall just add stuff to the end o=
this file.  They add everything they know they need because only the last o=
similar entries has effect.  rc.conf can become unwieldly over time because
of this.  It is safe to delete duplicate entries, but that should not affec=
the result.  When the same value is assigned differing values only the last
is effective.  The defaults are in /etc/defaults/rc.conf which should never
be edited.

--=20
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html
8800 N IH35 APT 1191 AUSTIN TX 78753-5266
--21774345-1633320634-1305450620=:13285--