Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 1998 18:55:04 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: O'Reilly still supporting FSF exclusively

On Sun, Jul 26, 1998 at 06:04:01PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
>As of today, O'Reilly's Web page at
>
>http://opensource.oreilly.com/townmeet.html
>
>still says that all attendees at the company's "Open Source Town Hall" will
>be required to donate $10 to the Free Software Foundation, an organization
>that disparages all open source software efforts other than those which
>support its specific philosophy and restrictive licensing terms. Some "Town
>Hall!"
>
>If O'Reilly is not responsive, it may be time for us to -- however
>reluctantly -- engage in some appropriate form of protest -- perhaps
>buttons, literature, or refusal to pay the $10 "donation" at the event.
>While I know that Jordan has always been conciliatory toward the Linux camp
>as a whole, I think it's important that he speak out strongly against
>forced support of a group that openly disparages the methodologies of other
>open source development teams, including Apache, XFree86, and others.
>Perhaps we can hand out 2.2.6 disks (which will now be obsolete) with an
>appropriate message attached, indicating that the GPL is NOT the only way
>and that this is an example of what can be done under a less restrictive
>license. Walnut Creek people: What does WC CD-ROM do with its obsolete
>disks? I can't think of a better use.

Brett,

I have been following the discussion over the last week about the Open
Source Town Meeting. I understand you are unhappy with O'Reilly's choice of
recipient of the funds raised by this meeting. I must say I do have a lot
of sympathy for your position but I must urge caution and moderation. There
is a lot of reason for the Linux, FreeBSD, GNU, FSF, OpenBSD, NetBSD (did I
forget anybody) to snipe at each other. But I must remind you that these
people are not the enemy. The enemy is microsoft. We got into a factional
fight back in the 80's and 90's and in the end we, the Unix community, got
fucked not billy gates. We would be better off organizing and finding
common ground rather than fight amongst ourselves. Remember there is
strength in numbers. I urge you to focus that good energy you have toward
organizing and focusing on your common enemy.

My $0.02

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.7
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses

 LocalWords:  Linux