Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 20:54:25 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF kernels: When?

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > I spent some time this weekend doing exactly that.  I pulled NetBSD's
> > libsa, libz and i386/stand into our tree and hacked on them until they
> > built.  I made some ugly hacks in there to construct FreeBSD style
> > bootinfo and slice stuff, so it should boot most things.  I haven't
> > actually tried it on a real machine (my scratch box is in pieces) but it
> > works fine under bochs (bochs is a godsend for this kind of work :-).
>
> I'm wondering how you got it to compile.  8(  It patches OK onto
> -current, but doesn't build due to not finding stand.h and libkern.h.

You probably can't build from libsa itself.  If you make in biosboot, it
sets up some cunning arguments to point cpp at the right directories.

> > If anyone is interested, the hacked sources are in
> > freefall:~dfr/netbsdboot.diff.gz.  I think they should apply cleanly.  If
> > they don't tell me.
>
> Consider yourself told.  8)

Where are you trying to make and what was the error?  I'll fix it if I can
see it :).

> If you want a real challenge, how about pulling libsa out seperately,
> and making the libz build from the standard libz sources.  I still
> dream of extricating the bootloader from the kernel.  8)

Hmm.  I think it *might* be possible to use libz from /usr/src/lib but it
really needs to be rebuilt in a cunning way (I think) so that it can run
in the standalone environment.  I'll think about it.  I don't think the
i386 bootloader will have much resemblance to the alpha bootloader so that
part should stay with the kernel since it has such an intimate
relationship with it.

> ... and just for dessert, I take it you were only building the biosboot
> loader?

Of course!  I also built installboot (which was pretty easy).  I don't
expect to have much trouble with dosboot and netboot but I can't test
them.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039