Date:      Sun, 4 Jul 2004 09:31:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dru <dlavigne6@sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   direction for training

Okay, I'm the one that re-opened this can of worms. And I'd like to start
sorting through them so that this time something concrete starts to
happen.

Here's some of the pieces we have to start with:

1. An increasing pool of BSD knowledge resources--a totally revamped
handbook, the books by McKusick, Lucas, Anderson, Lehey, Tiemann and
myself, and online tutorials such as those at Onlamp. Quality information
is definitely out there, but it is left to the user to figure it out on
their own. In itself, that's a great intro to troubleshooting and the life
of a sysadmin. However, it does leave knowledge gaps that would be better
addressed by the combo of a good curriculum/good instructor.

2. The training provided by Daemonnews and Pugent Sound Technology are an
excellent start at addressing the big void of nothingness. However, BSD
needs a bigger training vision. Something that results in a tangible
something (diploma or certificate) stamped by a governing body that holds
recognition. And something that addresses the availability issue. Training
that is only available in a handful of US cities is useless to the 99% of
the user base that doesn't have ready access to those cities or the funds
to get there.

I think we've proved several times in the past that developing that training
vision won't happen with another week long thread in the advocacy list. It'll
take a handful of dedicated people with some time and the willingness to work
together to hammer out the details, do the research, and start the
necessary balls rolling. (Keep in mind that handful of people will need a lot
of input from the entire BSD community).

We have an opportunity to put together some quality training for a quality
OS. The talent we need to put it all together is definitely out there; the
need is definitely out there.

The question is, how do we start? David and Mike have made potential
offers of a mailing list. Paul has started a wiki with some excellent
starting points. Let's pick one to be the official resource so we can
advertise its existence so interested parties know where to contribute.
Whatever avenue is taken, it'll be messy during the first phase of
brainstorming...

Also, I see all 3 BSDs as BSD and would like to see a curriculum that
addresses all aspects of BSD. Do others agree that this shouldn't be a
FreeBSD-baby and should be open to input from all of the BSDs?

I better go drink some coffee.

Dru