Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:14:20 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        wu barry <wu_qingbo1969@hotmail.com>
Cc:        ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: about freebsd port to intel tiger 4 ia64 machine

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 09:43:26PM +0800, wu barry wrote:

> I do not know if RC2 can support intel tiger 4 ia64 machine.
> It is based intel e8870 chipset. Our lab just has a intel
> tiger 4 machine. If it can not support, we want to port
> freebsd to this machine. Because I am new to freebsd porting,
> I do not know how to begin. If someone knows, please help me.
> Thanks in advance!

I'm inclined to say that we support the Tiger4, mostly because
we don't depend much on the the chipset. We do have problems
on a couple of fronts that may block a successful install. I
would just grab the RC2 bits and try it out. This will tell us
right away about issues and we can address them in the order
they show up. This would solve the "where to begin" problem
as well :-)

Some hot topics:
o  USB: The UHCI host controller seems to hang on ia64. My first
   guess was that it had something to do with the SMC hub on
   port 1, but after some debugging I think that it's the UHCI
   itself that wedges the machine. Anyway, we have USB disabled
   by default. Use the serial console if you don't have a
   legacy keyboard and VGA controller,
o  USB: We don't support the EHCI host controller yet. The EHCI
   is the controller I would expect to find in new 64-bit boxes.
   If the Tiger4 has the high speed USB logo somewhere, then
   we can be sure it has the EHCI and we need to port EHCI from
   NetBSD (they already seem to have it).