Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 03:21:05 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        James Michael DuPont <mdupont777@yahoo.com>
Cc:        des@ofug.org, s337240@student.uq.edu.au, tedm@toybox.placo.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, djohnson@acuson.com, stuyman@confusion.net
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again

James Michael DuPont wrote:
> >Late '99 I wrote a backend for gcc targeting the java virtual
> >machine.
> [SNIP]
> >I recently asked RMS if he figured it would be worth my while to go
> >and ask for the assignment again as I figured that after reaping
> >nothing from the code for 18 months they may be more forthcoming.
> >This is the response I got.  RMS essentially tells me to bury the code=

> >in the backyard because it might be "dangerous".
> =

> I am currently involved in a similar situation.
> My introspector project extracts the ASTS out of the compiler into XML,=

I think you meant ASTs (Abstract Syntax Tree, plural)?

> I am getting hostile mails from the gcc/fsf group.

Unless you are quoting a post that you made previously (and you
aren't) I don't understand the relevence.  I also don't understand
why you would get email complaining about the code.

However, any code you want to add to GCC is going to have to go
through the FSF gatekeepers, so you are probably out of luck.  I
personally would publicize the issue.

But I personally don't see how this is a FreeBSD-advocacy issue;
probably you wanted FreeBSD-chat?  The FreeBSD-advocacy list is
about advocating FreeBSD, not about getting FreeBSD people to
advocate things on your behalf.  8-).

FWIW, I like the idea of being able to parse a program into a
data dictionary, and regenerate the code.  THis is how most of
the COBOL Y2K conversion software was written, and if it were
generalized, it should allow source translation of code, which
is always a neat thing.

> It seems that there are not any real rules on this,
> only FUD and opinions from the side of the people trying to stop all
> "Dangerous" patches to the gcc.
> =

> I will be meeting with rms about this soon and need to know his
> arguments from the past. He has sent me almost identical mails as well,=

> I think that I will have to fight over this.

I've done one or two things that have gotten me email from RMS
in the past.  I think that the answer is that you need to read
the GNU Manifesto to understand where he is coming from.  He's
not really about free software (whether "free" means "free" or
it means "liberated", and you are trying to avoid using the word
so you use "free" instead), he's about the intellectual commons
and strong opposition to intellectual property law.  The GPL is
just a tool he uses (and, as I've pointed out before, not really
a very good one, technically, but we aren't talking technically,
we're talking politically).

> Please tell me on what is going on with this issue,
> I would like some advice on what my options are.

Read the Manifesto.  If the condemning letters are from RMS
himself, he likely understands exactly what you intend to do,
and has extrapolated the long term consequences in a binary
decision based on whether it promotes or does not promote the
GNU Manifesto.  Your only argument that could convince him
has to do with the long term consequences, as they apply to
forwarding or at least not hindering the goals of the FSF.
If you are going to go in cold, and try to think on your feet,
because you can't figure out what his objections are without
him telling you, then you should just ask up front what they
are, and try to address them.

> Is is not funny how the GCC people did not try and bury this guys
> attempt at the same :
> =93I'm writing a backend for GCC to compile to Java bytecode, and I'm
> having some problems with function calls."
> =

> this mail got him help from the compiler team.

Duplicate URLs... Intentional?

> http://introspector.sourceforge.net/

It looks like what you are doing is intentionally to interoperate
with Microsoft's .NET; so RMS's being reticent is understandable,
given his platform and view from there.

PS: If you want to get FreeBSD folks on your bandwagon, fine, bur
like I said above, this probably belongs in FreeBSD-chat, and if
you really want the FreeBSD folks to listen to you, you may want
to think about making the front page of your project site accessible
to a browser other than Internet Explorer or a "view source" in
Netscape...

-- Terry