Date:      Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:17:59 -0800
From:      Damon Blom <surferdamon@adelphia.net>
To:        Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc>, questions@freebsd.org, chris@childeric.freeserve.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Copying kernel and OS

On Saturday 10 December 2005 12:05 pm, you wrote:
> On 12/10/05, Damon Blom <surferdamon@adelphia.net> wrote:
> >    Thank's. Is there an easy way to install ports on slow machine using
> > nfs after portupgrade on fast machine? For one port I guess you could do
> > a nfs mount of faster machine ports after doing make on ithe port and
> > just do install on slower machine?
>
> Check out pkg_create. You could use that to create packacges from
> installed ports on the fast maschine, and then installing those
> packages on the slower machine(s).
>
> Using some creative scripting, this could be done pretty transparently.
Hi
   Thank's for reply! pkg_create makes almost instant package which I
can then just do pkg_add -r to retrieve on slower machine. Can also
make package-recursive (from chris) which puts packages
in /usr/ports/packages. Maybe when I do portupgrade -a on fast
machine I should do portupgrade -ap instead to also build a package.
   Thank's for idea.
            Damon