Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 1996 10:02:25 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Various problem's with FreeBSD

In message <23858.824810865@time.cdrom.com>you write:
>the US
>is constrained to 3 digit area codes with only the possibility of
>1-9 for the first digit, 0 or 1 for the second and 0-9 for the
>third...

Are there any area codes that start with 1?

I thought it was [2-9][0-9][0-9] now.  At least, my friend in the 423 area
code would be particularly surprised to find out that his area code didn't
exist.  In fact, the people in all of the following places might be kind of
surprised.

242 as of 10-1996, Bahamas
250 as of 10-1996, outside of Vancouver area, British Columbia, CANADA,
281 an overlay on 713 area, Texas
320 as of 3-1996, St. Cloud, Minnesota
330 as of 3-1996, Akron, Massillon and Youngstown, Ohio
334 Mobile and Montgomery, Alabama
352 Gainesville and Ocala, Florida
360 Bellingham, Olympia and Vancouver, Washington
423 Chattanooga, Knoxville and Kingsport, Tennessee
441 Bermuda
520 Flagstaff and Tucson, Arizona
540 Fredericksburg, Roanoke and Winchester, Virginia
541 Eugene, Oregon
561 to be used at a future time for West Palm Beach, Florida
562 as of 2-1997, Long Beach, California
573 Cape Girardeau and Jefferson City, Missouri
626 as of 1997(?), an overlay or split of 818 in California
630 as of 9-1996 generally Dupage County west suburbs of Chicago
757 as of 9-1996 southeastern Virginia, Norfolk, Williamsburg
760 as of 3-1997, Palm Springs and the Imperial Valley, California
770 Marietta, Georgia
773 as of 10-1996, Chicago, Illinois (except downtown area is 312)
847 Evanston, Glenview, Skokie, Waukegan, (north suburbs of Chicago), Illinois
860 Hartford, Connecticut
864 Greenville and Spartanburg, South Carolina
941 Avon Park, Fort Myers and Winter Haven, Florida
954 Fort Lauderdale, Florida
970 Fort Collins, Grand Junction and Vail, Colorado
972 an overlay on 214 area, Texas

  Bill