Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:19:21 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reviewers for a free software license

At 09:52 PM 2/22/99 -0500, Christopher Masto wrote:

>One concern I would have about such a license is that it would appear
>to violate the Robinson-Patman Act.  It would make code free to users,
>free to developers of non-GPLed software, and expensive or utterly
>unattainable to developers of GPLed software.  Brett Glass
>specifically states that an effect of his proposed modification would
>be to prevent code being used in competing GPLed products.

If the GPL is shown to be illegal (which I hope it will be), then such
a clause would be invalidated in the new license, too. It would then
revert to being the standard BSD license, which is (I believe) what
would ideally be used in the first place.

In short, the defense against the GPL works unless the GPL itself is
ruled invalid, in which case it's not necessary anyway.

--Brett