Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 21:24:47 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        Doug <DougGuy@dal.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The popularity meter [Fwd: Re: Suggested OS]

I have to admit that I wanted to keep FreeBSD as a secret for myself
once and let the other guys dwell with their primitive solution, but I
would REALLY like if FreeBSD were more popular because we would have
more funding, and also we would have more native commercial applications
to play with.

I have ported many freeware applications, and it surprises me that:

1) Many software authors don't know about FreeBSD, some even think it's
a version of Linux.

2) Linux applications are usually very badly written; even if they are
commercial. Lately I built Freedom-lite and while it seems to work there
are so many warnings I preferred not to port it.

	Pedro.