Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 2020 15:50:54 -0500
From:      Greg Rivers <gcr+freebsd-stable@tharned.org>
To:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Stable Users <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: New Xorg - different key-codes

On Wednesday, 11 March 2020 13:53:45 CDT Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2020-Mar-11 10:29:08 +0100, Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >This has to do with switching to using evdev to handle input devices on
> >FreeBSD 12 and CURRENT.  There's been several reports, and suggested
> >solutions to this, as well as an UPDATING entry detailing the change.
>
> The UPDATING entry says that it's switched from devd to udev.  There's no
> mention of evdev or that the keycodes have been roto-tilled.  It's basically
> a vanilla "things have been changed, see the documentation" entry.  Given
> that entry, it's hardly surprising that people are confused.

Indeed, the change has been a bit inconvenient and time consuming to deal with.

But I don't think we should let this overshadow the dedication and very hard work that Niclas and the graphics team have done and continue to do to keep FreeBSD relevant on the desktop. I for one am very grateful for that.

--
Greg