Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 23:16:54 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Brandon DeYoung" <brandon@schoolpeople.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 36 GB IDE Hard Drives

>> Are hard drives larger than 32 GB supported by Free BSD. I've had both =
>> the 3.3 and 3.4 releases fail during the make New FS portion of the =
>> install, when installing on a Maxtor 36 GB drive.
>
>There shouldn't be any issues with large drives, no.  Since you don't
>provide any details to qualify "fail", it's hard to guess where your
>problems might lie.

There's been discussion of this recently, I think on -questions.
Those involved seemed to agree there is a newfs barrier at around
27 to 27.5 GB.  Smaller works fine, larger fails.  Based on that you
should be able to partition your 36 GB and make it usable now.  IIRC
there is a new driver in the works that's supposed to solve the
problem.

-Mitch