Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 2020 21:53:34 +0200
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd@daemonic.se>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: drm-i915kms + x11-intel eats out all of the ram and swap but not with x11-scfb

On 2020-04-14 21:38, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 5:15 AM Niclas Zeising=20
> <zeising+freebsd@daemonic.se <mailto:zeising%2Bfreebsd@daemonic.se>> wr=
ote:
>=20
>     On 2020-04-14 13:57, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
>      > Hello world :-)
>      >
>      > I have noticed some bad thing with the X11 Intel driver (12.1-RE=
LEASE
>      > AMD64 with latest intel driver from 2018???) - it eats out all o=
f the
>      > RAM, then it eats all of the SWAP, then system gets unusable for
>      > anything except hard reset :-( This happens when it works togeth=
er
>      > with latest DRM i915KMS. On hard computer use that means worksta=
tion
>      > gets useless in around 15 minutes. Closing applications does not=
 free
>      > the memory resources, once it get some some it never returns.
>=20
>     Which driver are you talking about? xf86-video-intel or
>     drm-fbsd12.0-kmod?
>=20
>      >
>      > I have set the UXA as the default for i5-5300U CPU.
>      >
>      > On the other hand the DRM i915kms works fine with SCFB on the sa=
me
>      > load and hardware. I am working on DRM + i915kms + SCFB so far.
>=20
>     If you are using SCFB, you are not using i915kms.
>=20
>      >
>      > This is why I suspect problem with X11-INTEL driver? Maybe it
>     does not
>      > like latest Xorg changes?
>      >
>      > I also sometimes get this DRM warning on the dmesg:
>      > [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to=
 less
>      > power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen me=
mory
>      > size if available in BIOS.
>=20
>     This is unrelated to this issue.
>=20
>     Have you tried using the modesetting xorg driver instead?
>     Regards
>     --=20
>     Niclas
>=20
> A day or two ago I saw a post to this list stating that modesetting was=
=20
> not interesting because it did not support 3-D acceleration. At least o=
n=20
> my Sandy Bridge system running the latest available software for FreeBS=
D=20
> 12-STABLE, 3-D acceleration works just fine. This assumes the most=20
> recently committed mesa, server, drm-fbsd12.0-kmod, etc. It may be that=
=20
> modesetting does not provide 3-D on other platforms, but that is not th=
e=20
> norm, I suspect. If it does normally work, a clear statement to that=20
> effect would be a "good=C2=A0 thing", though, other than this mailing l=
ist, I=20
> have no idea where to find current status and no idea where else users=20
> would look.
>=20
> If it is not going to be maintained, please take down the graphics wiki=
=20
> page! It list supporting evdev as "Not started" and everything on it=20
> seems over a year old. I'm tempted to volunteer to try to update it=20
> myself, but I am hardly the best informed. I only discovered the=20
> modesetting driver as an option for Intel GPUs when I had serious issue=
s=20
> and someone (Jan) suggested I try it.

The modesetting xorg-server driver works fine, and has been working fine=20
for quite a number of years.  It is the driver used by default, in the=20
default set up.  You need to explicitly install another xf86-video-*=20
driver to get something else.  It also should give 3D acceleration (and=20
has always, to my knowledge, done so).  If you, or anyone else on the=20
mailing list, have problems using it, it is most likely a bug.
I've been telling people this on mailing lists for a long time, and as I=20
said before, it is the default configuration.  I don't know what else to=20
do to squash rumors like this.  It is even stated on the graphics wiki=20
page that you don't need for instance xf86-video-intel when using drm-kmo=
d.
Regards
--=20
Niclas