Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 23:15:26 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Future of IFS

Robert Watson wrote:
> My impression from my conversation with him was that if he did start
> maintaining IFS again, it would be a re-implementation for 5.0.  I'm
> concerned that in its current state, we will be unable to make progress on
> UFS2.

At first glance, I find this answer surprising.

I would think that the problems of externalizing UFS2 through the
existing system call interface (a VFS consumer limited to 32 bits
for everything but file offsets) would be exactly analogous to
externalizing it via NFSv3 (a VFS consumer limited to 32 bits for
almost everything, except the things where it's limited to 16 bits).

The IFS code conversion of inode numbers into files isn't, to my
mind, so significantly different from the conversion of NFS handles
into files, that I could see how you could fundamentally break one
without at least causing a lot of problems for the other.

In fact, since the on disk dirent and the system call exposed dirent
are only intentionally "coincidentally" equal... the same for the
stuctures used by getattr/setattr/stat... it should be possible to
implement a UFS2 in FreeBSD without really changing *any* of the
exposed interfaces seen by user space, except later, to get at UFS2
specific features, so the work could even be staged to reduce overall
risk.  Every FS that isn't FFS (and therefore doesn't "coincidently"
luck out) already does explicit conversions.  Breaking the historical
"coincidence" for a new FS seems to be a logical way of achieving
ABI/API compatability.

Please correct me if my logic is way off base.

-- Terry