Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:37:32 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports vs. packages...

Rich Morin wrote:

> At 7:46 PM +0100 3/18/01, Markus Holmberg wrote:
> >Isn't there a small security advantage with building from source
> >(compared to downloading packages from an untrusted party)?
>
> Access to the source code (and even a close examination of it) isn't
> enough.  See Ken Thompson's Turing Award lecture, "Reflections on
> Trusting Trust": http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html

A fascinating paper, but not really the point that he was making.  He
was saying that the ports do a checksum verification of the sources,
which means that as long as you trust your ports (which you frequently
do since they were on the installation CD), then you don't really *have*
to trust your download mirrors that much 'cause the code is being
verified against the trusted checksum.

But if you download a package, they could have put anything in there and
you have no trusted way to verify it if you don't trust the mirror in
the first place.

Of course, per Mr. Thompson's paper, if you can't trust your system
initially then you can't trust any changes you make to the system
because some pre-existing component (like the compiler) could have a
trojan implanted that will defeat any subsequent security precautions
your take.

But the ports still do add a modium of security.

Another advantage of ports:  you have the source handy.  Just yesterday
I had a problem with mkisofs, and while a careful reading the man page
might have shown me which of the sqazillion options I needed to use to
make it happy, it took about mere minutes with the source code to find
it.  And if I hadn't been able to find a pre-existant option, I could
have hacked the source to what I wanted. (Actually, that was my original
intention but luckily I found there was already a handy option.)

The easy access to prepackaged auto-installing source was one of the
primary reasons I switched to FreeBSD in the first place myself.

That said, I'm starting to use packages more & more for lots of things.

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org