Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 1995 15:56:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

On Mon, 14 Aug 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> -Vince- stands accused of saying:
> >> Micropolis has one of the best track records in the industry for the
> >> reliability of thier drives.  They were the only vendor for a long time
> >> to pass Auspex's reliability requirements.
> >
> > 	Hmmmm, okay but I thought Micropolis wasn't that big of a player
> > in the market.  Isn't Seagates reliable since they are using the
> > technology they bought from CDC/Imprimus many years ago atleast on their
> > WREN and Elite Drives...
>
> Seagate make/have made some of the very best, and some of the very worst
> disks on the market.  As Rod observed, their Hawk and Hawk-II drives
> have proven themselves to be very good units.  The Barracuda family are
> actually reasonably old technology, and weighted their design tradeoffs
> very heavily in favour of performance.  As a consequence, they have
> (possibly) excessive heat dissipation and noise characteristics, but
> when they came out, there was nothing that could touch them for speed.

	Hmmm okay but what drives can touch the barracuda's in terms of
speed?

> Micropolis have been around for a _long_ time; anyone remember the DEC RD53?
> Whilst that wasn't a particularly good disk, they have a really solid
> reputation, and (here at least) they offer a 5-year warranty on most of
> their disks.

	That's true but like it seems like wasn't CDC one of the drives that
was like a industry standard?

> Rod, while we're on disks; the 4G Conner looks great on price, what's
> the story on it wrt performance and survivability?  I had a bad run
> with Conner and Quantum a while ago, but I guess it's time to try again 8)

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
Chabot Observatory & Science Center