Date:      Thu, 06 Nov 1997 15:33:32 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), nellie@home.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware

> What about other current 875 controllers?

Promise appear to have one.

> <SOAPBOX>
>
> If you're really putting together a system for FreeBSD, remember to
> spend your money in the important areas.  First, throw out the IDE
> interface, don't even think about using it.  (I do, but only on *other*
> people's machines.  This one doesn't even have an IDE controller in it.)

This advice is *seriously* outdated, especially in the light of the
current performance of 3.x systems.  We are using IDE on 2.2 boxes with
excellent results as well, and to suggest that people should never
consider IDE is completely wrong.

SCSI shines for heavily-loaded disk systems, particularly when
concurrency is an issue.  If, OTOH, your're building a workstation the
cost savings from going IDE over SCSI will let you double your disk
space.

mike