Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 1995 21:01:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steven Erickson <swedguy@friendly.net5b.io.org>
To:        Brian Litzinger <brian@mediacity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NCR 810 based card won't boot

On Sun, 23 Apr 1995, Brian Litzinger wrote:

> I've been trying to replace an Adaptec 1542B in my P5-90 PCI system
> with either a BT946C or NCR810 PCI controller.
>
> Trying to install SNAP 950412, the NCR810 controller is recognized
> and the whole install goes without a hitch.
>
> However, when it comes time to do the boot from the hard drive, I either
> get:
>
> 	1) hangs, if using FDISK /mbr

	I dont know that one.

> 	2) BootManager just repeats its F? each time I press a key.

	Well, you have to turn off your Translator in CMOS chip.

> The drive, Fujitsu M2664ESA, was detected by the FreeBSD install as
> 1 head, 63 sectors, and ~300000 or so cylinders.
>
> I changed the geometry tp 32 heads, 64 sectors and the appropriate number
> of cylinders.

	DO not change anything to disk geometry. IT must be the same as
the hard drive's specifications. Don't worry about the rest.

> Lastly, I kept the entire FreeBSD below cylinder 1024.  Any ideas? >

	Yes, your "/" must be mounted within 1024 cylinders. And the rest
like /usr can go more than 1024 cylinders.

	It seems a lot of people problems with these situations. I had a
problem too.

Steven Erickson