Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:54:49 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LaCie Desktop Hard Drive panics the system

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 05:37:11PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 12:34:29AM +0100, Anton Berezin wrote:
> >When I try to connect it to an already booted machine, however, I am getting
> >device recognized (there is an umass: message on console), then, after a
> >delay of around 10-20 seconds, the machine panics, like that:
> >
> >http://www.tobez.org/scratch/lacie_freebsd.jpg
>
> Just above the panic is a "umass0:... disconnected".  Did you do anything
> to trigger this?

Nope.  It happens by itself immediately before the actual panic.

One more datapoint: the same device is recognized (including the disk) fine
on 6.2.  There is no delay like in CURRENT, "da0" appears on console
with no perceptible delay after "umass0".

> >The question is, how do I debug it further from here, and how do I find a
> >solution?
>
> As a minimum, you need to provide a backtrace ("bt" in ddb) and a crashdump
> would be better.

The dump can be found at http://www.tobez.org/scratch/textdump.tar.0.bz2 (<9MB)

I hope you can work with it - I do not understand why I get textdump and not
vmcore;  "textdump status" in ddb shows "not set".

Just in case, "bt" trace is here:

   http://www.tobez.org/scratch/lacie_bt.jpg

Thank you for your interest in this!

Cheers,
\Anton.
--
We're going for 'working' here. 'clean' is for people with skills...
-- Flemming Jacobsen