Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:14:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Marco Molteni" <molter@tin.it>
To:        Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: european internet access?

Hi Nathan,

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Nathan Dorfman wrote:

[..]

> Is regular dial-up PPP used in Italy as well? If so, where can I find some
> kind of adapter to plug the phone line into my modem (RJ11)? If not, how
> else can I get online, and what kind of hardware do I need to buy? And of
> course, contact info for service providers around there would help as well.

Sure, we use PPP in Italy (and ISDN too) ;-)

New telephones come with a plug into which you can insert a rj11 plug, ie:

telephone box -- rj11 plug -- cable -- rj11 plug -- telephone plug -- wall socket
                                                    ^
so you insert your plug here------------------------|

if you'll have an old telephone, I think you can find an adapter in a
normal shop who sells electricity appliances (aargh my english, I hope you
understand ;-)

Regarding ISP, maybe your best bet is to find a free 1-month subscription,
which are pretty common in computer magazines (try "PC professionale")

National-wide ISP (connection speed ugly at night) are TIN
(www.tin.it), Tiscali (maybe www.tiscalinet.it or similar), Infostrada
(www.infostrada.it)

Or, you can find a local to Santa Marinella ISP, by looking in the italian Yellow
Pages ("Pagine Gialle", www.paginegialle.it) under "internet".

> Internet Cafes that let you plug into the ethernet instead of using their
> pre-setup lose98/MSIE boxen would be great as well.

mmh, don't know about it. You'll have to try.

Enjoy your stay in our sunny Italy
Marco
---
If we want to avoid zombies, we have to wait for our children.
                -- W. R. Stevens