Date:      Sun, 25 Dec 2005 06:33:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Danial Thom <danial_thom@yahoo.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Miguel Saturnino <mags@oniduo.pt>, Don Hinton <don.hinton@vanderbilt.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Question's.

--- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
wrote:

> On 2005-12-24 14:01, Danial Thom
> <danial_thom@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Don Hinton <don.hinton@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
> > > For me, FreeBSD is about twice as fast/easy
> to install/configure,
> > > and infinitely cheaper.
> >
> > Considering that WinXP usually comes on the
> computer, I don't see how
> > "installing and configuring FreeBSD" can be
> easier than having to do
> > nothing at all?
>
> Windows XP comes preinstalled, yes.  Not
> "preconfigured" too.  It so
> happens that configuring a Windows XP system to
> match one's preferences
> has the potential to:
>
>     a) Screw the machine up so completely and
> utterly that a reinstall
>        is required.
>     b) Take a lot of time.  A huge lot of time,
> because of all the
>        different 'driver' installation
> processes.

Ate you claiming that someone not familiar with
how to configure FreeBSD can't screw it up beyond
usefulness? I can point you at about 10% of my
customers who've spent weeks just trying to
compile a kernel and get basic networking
working, much less a desktop with X.

DT

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com